RECIPE- Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Grain Free Veggie Quiche with Flax Crust.
- 1 cup Flax Meal
- 1 Tbs softened Butter (Olive oil can also be used)
- 1 Large Egg
- pinch of salt
- 6 Large Eggs
- 1 cup of broccoli, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup grape, cherry or baby heirloom tomatoes diced
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach (packed)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced or pressed
- Olive oil to saute the vegetables in
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, beat 1 egg with softened butter & salt. Mix flax meal into the mixture.
- Knead until well combined and forms a ball.
- Press the mixture into a 9″ pie pan. Start by pressing the dough into the bottom and working it up to the sides of the pan. It will take some time and work, but you will end up with a nice even crust.
- Pre-bake crust in 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes to firm it up.
- While crust is baking, saute the chopped and diced vegetables in a small amount of olive oil until softened. Set aside to cool a bit
- In a medium bowl beat 6 eggs together with a whisk
- Season to taste with fresh grated nutmeg, salt and pepper
- Add the sauteed vegetables
- Pour this mixture evenly into the pre-baked pie crust
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes (or until firmed up and done)
- Cool for at least 25 minutes before serving.
Yields 6 Servings!
Note: Based on eating a low carb low sugar meal this quiche is considered a healthy choice. The flax meal along with the little bit of butter & olive oil added makes it a higher fat food, but it is a healthy fat choice, you must be sure to control your portion. This quiche makes 6 servings.
You can add any vegetables you like but be sure to saute them first before adding to the filling.
You can also prepare this quiche without the crust and bake in a greased pie pan or casserole dish and save a lot of calories and fat. (See nutritional values below)
Per serving – 1/6th of quiche (numbers in parenthesis are for crustless quiche)
- Calories: 218.5 (125)
- Fat: 14.5 (7.8)
- Protein: 12.3 (8.3)
- Carbs: 12 (5.3)
- Sugars: 2.16 (same)
- Fiber: 6.5 (1.1)